[tex-live] use of x86_64-darwin only in mactex 2010

emanuele rodo pleistozaen at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jun 21 15:35:07 CEST 2010

Hope it won't be to messy to follow.

On So, 20 Jun 2010, Emanuele Rodo wrote:

> I wonder if it is possible to only use x86_64 packages rather than e.g.
>> having something like -
>
>  > Updating dvipdfm
>> Updating dvipdfmx.universal-darwin
>> Updating dvipdfmx.x86_64-darwin

Yes, one of the two can be eliminated. I don't know about how
MacTeX is installing things.

I am myself not sure how this should be achieved. Certainly at the moment
you are simply using the universal-darwin binaries as far as I see.

If you use the normal texlive installer and it does select universal-darwin
for you, you can override that with
	install-tl -force-arch x86_64-darwin <other option>

> I noticed the presence of both
>>  > /usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/universal-darwin/tlmgr
>>  > and
>>  > /usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/x86_64-darwin/tlmgr.

Yes, and much more, all binaries in bin/*-darwin/ are double.

> What change is to be made in the tlmgr configuration file? Is it then
>> possible to delete /usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/universal-darwin/tlmgr?

I wrote how I would do it on Unix or Mac with the normal TeX Live installer.

If you used MacTeX please ask on the MacTeX list or wait for answer here,
normally there are some people with MacTeX knowledge around.

Best wishes

Norbert

On So, 20 Jun 2010, Emanuele Rodo wrote:

>>> I wonder if it is possible to only use x86_64 packages rather than e.g.

/usr/local/texlive/2010/bin

contains

universal-darwin
x86_64-darwin/pdftex

each of them contains say pdftex but those are different

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  2850996 Jun 16 19:11 universal-darwin/pdftex

on the other hand on 64-bit machine

%ls -l /usr/texbin/pdftex returns

--rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  1572864 Jun 16 19:19 /usr/texbin/pdftex

and on 32-bit it returns

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  2850996 Jun 16 19:11 /usr/texbin/pdftex

%which pdftex

returns /usr/texbin/pdftex

Actually /usr/texbin is a symlink to

lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  63 Jun 12 13:34 /usr/texbin ->
../Library/TeX/Distributions/.DefaultTeX/Contents/Programs/i386

which in turn is a symlink to one of those

/usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/universal-darwin
/usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/x86_64-darwin

(depending on architecture)

There is a control panel in System Preferences where one can
select/change which path is used and on 32-bin machines only
/usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/universal-darwin could be chosen

Sio, in principle one can select a directory containing tex
executables and remove the other one - assuming that tlmgr (or TeXLive
utility which is MacOSX frontend for tlmgr) would not complain too
much.

But this is only less than 150 MB for universal-darwin and less than
100MB for x86_64-darwin.

Victor

--
========================
http://www.math.toronto.edu/ivrii
On Jun 20, 2010, at 10:20 AM, Victor Ivrii wrote:

> There is a control panel in System Preferences where one can
>> select/change which path is used and on 32-bin machines only
>> /usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/universal-darwin could be chosen
>>  > Sio, in principle one can select a directory containing tex
>> executables and remove the other one - assuming that tlmgr (or TeXLive
>> utility which is MacOSX frontend for tlmgr) would not complain too
>> much.

At the very least, I think you should use `tlmgr arch remove`, but then
you will still have a stale option in the preference pane (if you used
MacTeX).

At present, on Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6), you get universal-darwin
and x86_64-darwin binaries.  The x86_64-darwin binaries will /only/ work
on 10.6.  On 10.5 and earlier OS releases, MacTeX installs only the
universal-darwin arch.

If you think you need finer-grained control, you can use the install-tl
script to install TeX Live yourself, but any /usr/texbin path setup will
not work correctly.

I may add arch add/remove functionality to TeX Live Utility at some
point.  Correctly handling /usr/texbin is the main reason I haven't made
time to do that yet.

--
Adam

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Adam R. Maxwell <amaxwell at mac.com> wrote:

> > On Jun 20, 2010, at 10:20 AM, Victor Ivrii wrote:
>>
>>> There is a control panel in System Preferences where one can
>>
>> > At the very least, I think you should use `tlmgr arch remove`, but then
>> you will still have a stale option in the preference pane (if you used
>> MacTeX).
>> > At present, on Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6), you get universal-darwin
>> and x86_64-darwin binaries.  The x86_64-darwin binaries will /only/ work
>> on 10.6.  On 10.5 and earlier OS releases, MacTeX installs only the
>> universal-darwin arch.

One can complain a bit that MacTeX installs x86_64-darwin  binaries on
SL even if it is not 64-bit machine capable (as my intel
pre-Core-Duo-2 MacBookPro) but in comparison with the size of TL it is
only 5%. I suspect that simply deleting some TeX binaries is a kind of
experiment about which Adam Savage suggests "Never try it at home" :-)

Victor

--
========================
On Mo, 21 Jun 2010, Emanuele Rodo wrote:

> sudo tlmgr --repository=http://www.math.utah.edu/pub/texlive/tlpretest/ > arch remove universal-darwin

Yes, it is still like that that the automatically detected platform
cannot be removed.

I am not sure what the best step further now is, but we have
to either change the detection routine if we want the 64bit binries to
be the efault on those machines, or we have to change tlmgr to switch
the main arch somehow.

I will look into that.

> Moreover, TeXLive Utility (0.88) lists a large amount of
>> universal.darwin packages where the
>>  > local revision (17012) is newer than revision in
>> http://www.math.utah.edu/pub/texlive/tlpretest/ (9317), not updating.

You should read the texlive list (one reason why I asked to stay on list
is that all the inforamtion should be there).

That has been announced quite some time ago, you have to either
	install --reinstall
all those packages, or make a complete new installation of mactex.
We are in prerelease testing.

> Maybe, it will be good to just remove them.

No.

Best wishes

Norbert

Thank you all:
>> > I noticed the option in the preference panel: TeXLive-2010-64 has been
>> selected by default.
>> > This is what I get by executing:
>> > sudo tlmgr --repository=http://www.math.utah.edu/pub/texlive/tlpretest/ > arch remove universal-darwin
>> Password:
>> You are running on arch universal-darwin, you cannot remove that one!
>> > (Here:
>> > sudo tlmgr arch list
>> tlmgr: package repository http://www.math.utah.edu/pub/texlive/tlpretest/ > Available platforms:
>>    i386-linux
>> (i) x86_64-darwin
>>    i386-kfreebsd
>>    mips-irix
>>    sparc-solaris
>>    win32
>>    x86_64-solaris
>>    powerpc-aix
>>    i386-solaris
>>    amd64-kfreebsd
>>    alpha-linux
>>    sparc-linux
>>    i386-netbsd
>> (i) universal-darwin
>>    i386-freebsd
>>    powerpc-linux
>>    amd64-freebsd
>>    x86_64-linux
>>    i386-cygwin
>> Already installed platforms are marked with (i)
>> You can add new platforms with: tlmgr arch add ARCH1 ARCH2...
>> > )
>> > Moreover, TeXLive Utility (0.88) lists a large amount of
>> universal.darwin packages where the
>> > local revision (17012) is newer than revision in
>> http://www.math.utah.edu/pub/texlive/tlpretest/ (9317), not updating.

You need to reinstall these packages as at some moment newer revisions
got lower numbers (it was discussed in this list)

> > Maybe, it will be good to just remove them.

May be it would be good just to leave them alone?

Victor

--
http://www.math.toronto.edu/ivrii