[tex-live] Problem updating using tlmgr

Torsten Andre qa at takb.net
Thu Jun 3 18:42:24 CEST 2010

George N. White III schrieb:
> On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 10:05 AM, Victor Ivrii <vivrii at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 8:38 AM, Torsten Andre <qa at takb.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Here we go! That was fun, everything worked. In the manual I didn't not
>>> understand that I actually have to specify the path to tlnet, but
>>> reading it again I guess it makes sense. Thank you for pointing that out!
>>>
>>> Torsten
>>>

>> May be to avoid such problems two links from
>>
>> http://tug.org/texlive/acquire-netinstall.html
>>
>>  "generic mirror.ctan.org url" and "list of CTAN mirrors"  should
>> point respectively to
>>
>> http://mirrors.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet
>>
>> and to the page similar to
>>
>> http://www.tug.org/texlive/mirmon/
>>
>> albeit with "release" rather than "prerelease" URLs
>
> Maybe the installer could try or suggest adding "/systems/texlive/tlnet"
> if the first attempt fails.

That would definitely be a good idea. In my case I was looking for quite
some time for the exact path, though the main reason was that I skipped
the entry in the list twice... But nevertheless I think it should try to
 common paths by itself and if it still fails, the installer should
inform the user to look for the complete path.