[tex-live] Problem updating using tlmgr

Torsten Andre qa at takb.net
Wed Jun 2 12:04:35 CEST 2010

Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Mi, 02 Jun 2010, Torsten Andre wrote:
>> I installed tex-live 2008. I'd like to update to 2009 and I thought to
>
> Updates between releases are currently not supported. YOu have to
> reinstall TL 2009 completely a new.
>
>>From TL 2009 to TL2010 there *MIGHT* be an update mechanism, but
> non of us had time till now to implement it, so don't hold oyur breath.
>
>> Well, whenever I try to update tlmgr always tells me that (I'm translating)
>> "the Tex Live database could not be loaded from $newroot. Please select
>> a different installation source..."
>
> Yes, because TL2008 is not available anymore on the normal CTAN mirrors.
>
>> the same error. I searched for different server but I always found hints
>> to select [2]. I installed tex-live from [1].
>
> Yes, TL2008 is not there anymore. CTAN cannot hold copies of
> 2008, 2009, and our currently running 2010 pretests. So CTAN holds
> only the current release, that is TL 2009.
>
>> Can someone tell me how to update texlive? Thank you very much!
>
> INstall TL2009 as new.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Norbert
> Norbert Preining            preining@{jaist.ac.jp, logic.at, debian.org}
> JAIST, Japan                                 TeX Live & Debian Developer
> DSA: 0x09C5B094   fp: 14DF 2E6C 0307 BE6D AD76  A9C0 D2BF 4AA3 09C5 B094
> NAAS (n.)
> The winemaking region of Albania where most of the wine that people
> take to bottle-parties comes from.
> 			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff

Thank you very much! That clarifies it! One more question though. Is it
possible to have TL2008 and TL2009 run in parallel or is it possible to
install 2009 first, try it and then remove 2008? It took me quite some
tries until I finally had it completely installed.

Thanks again for your help.

Torsten