[tex-live] ConTeXt in TL on Windows broken

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 15:37:12 CEST 2010

Dear Hans, Taco,

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 14:08, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>
>>> Moreover, mtxrun.exe is not working at all,
>>> complaining  "mtxrun: unable to locate texlua.exe on the search path",
>>> while
>>> texlua.exe is present in the same folder!
>>
>> Confirmed. mtxrun.exe doesn't find texlua.exe when it's in the same
>> folder. Hans - is there a way to fix that?
>
> I would call that a (security) feature. If the current folder is not
> in the search path, it should not be possible for executables to
> be executed from it unless by the user him/herself.

Hmmm ... it may well be a security feature (in minimals it works at
least), but I discovered that exactly the same problem pops up in TeX
Live on Windows. ConTeXt won't work there at all. Any single command
that I try to execute (context, texexec, luatools) breaks with
'mtxrun: unable to locate texlua.exe on the search path', but texlua
--version works perfectly well.

Mojca

(Of course one could argue that the fact that ConTeXt doesn't work on
Windows is in fact a security feature as well :)