[tex-live] Problem in updating texlive-2009

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Fri Jul 30 08:04:51 CEST 2010

On Fr, 30 Jul 2010, S. venkataraman wrote:
> Connecting to gd.tuwien.ac.at|192.35.244.50|:80... failed: Connection timed out.

> I also tried out the wget I have as part of the OS:
> export http_proxy=http://190.10.40.250:8080/(Just o be sure.)
> followed by
>  wget
> http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/publishing/tex/CTAN/systems/texlive/tlnet//tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb.xz
> with the same result.

Wait .. do you have some environment variable set to http_proxy?

This is a problem on your computer side. It seems that:
- either you have some env variable that asks for a proxy that does not work
- or port 80 outgoing is blocked (higly unlikely, but you never know)

We cannot do anything if you are working in an environment that prohibits
connection to the outside world.

None here can help you, please contact your local system administrator
how to contact port 80 of a remote server.

If you need some proxy and authentication at the proxy, I have no idea
if that is possible at allwith wget, but probably you can pass
some --user --password to wget.

If you manage in some way to get wget running, send us the working
invocation (without the password if you need one) and we can tell you waht
to change.

Best wishes

Norbert
CLABBY (adj.)
A 'clabby' conversation is one stuck up by a commissionaire or
cleaning lady in order to avoid any further actual work. The opening
gambit is usually designed to provoke the maximum confusion, and
therefore the longest possible clabby conversation. It is vitally
important to learn the correct, or 'clixby' (q.v.), responses to a
clabby gambit, and not to get trapped by a 'ditherington' (q.v.). For
instance, if confronted with a clabby gambit such as 'Oh, mr Smith, I
didn't know you'd had your leg off', the ditherington response is 'I
haven't....' whereas the clixby is 'good.'
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff