[tex-live] error

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 18:29:31 CEST 2010

2010/7/21 Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at>:
> Hi Zdenek,
>
> On Mi, 21 Jul 2010, Zdenek Wagner wrote:
>> > Error: warning: kpathsea: configuration file texmf.cnf not found in these
>> > directories:
>> > /usr/bin:/usr:/usr/share/texlive:/usr/bin/share/texmf-local/web2c:/usr/share/texmf-local/web2c:/usr/share/texlive/share/texmf-local/web2c:/usr/bin/texmf-local/web2c:/usr/texmf-local/web2c:/usr/share/texlive/texmf-local/web2c:/usr/bin/share/texmf/web2c:/usr/share/texmf/web2c:/usr/share/texlive/share/texmf/web2c:/usr/bin/texmf/web2c:/usr/texmf/web2c:/usr/share/texlive/texmf/web2c.
>> >
>> This is most often PATH conflict between two TeX distribution. Make
>> sure that the directory of TL binaries is listed at the beginning of
>> PATH.
>
> I first thought something similar, but then if the normal - distribution -
> pdflatex is used (as it seems from /usr/bin in the beginning), then it
> should also find the distribution specific texmf.cnf.

I have seen such errors in RHEL based Linux distributions if TeX (that
comes with Linux) is not completelly installed and path to TL binaries
is not in the beginning. In the past it happened to me too. Another
source of such a problem may be some TeX related environment variable
that remained set from the TeX distribution coming with the Linux
distribution. If nothing helps, "strace" can show what is happening
but I would start with PATH and verification of the environment
variables. It should be possible to find them by

set | grep TEX

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/