[tex-live] textlive seems to ignore top of home tree

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Jul 21 00:19:02 CEST 2010

    BY DEFAULT it searches BOTH the top of TEXMFHOME and the appropriate
    subdirectory

As I said before: that would be nice in theory, but as far as I can
tell, it would inflict an unacceptable performance hit for some people
currently using TEXMFHOME.

The only compatible solution I can think of is to invent a new tree that
doesn't require the subdir structure.

In any event, neither of these things would be simple to do, and require
considerable thought.  (If you don't understand why this is so, please
just take my word for it.)  Perhaps for TL'11.

Thanks for the suggestion.

karl