[tex-live] is this a fontool or TL issue?

Dr. Clea F. Rees cfrees at imapmail.org
Sat Jul 17 01:13:56 CEST 2010

I'm not sure if this is a fontool or TL issue (or something more local).

For TL 2009, font2afm hangs forever if fed an opentype file:
 	font2afm lmroman10-regular.otf
It works fine for a truetype font:
 	font2afm lmtypewriter10-regular.ttf
produces lmtypewriter10-regular.afm.

In the case of opentype fonts, a type 1 binary (pfb) file is produced
but no afm ever appears, the script hangs and my computer gets
hotter and hotter.

I tried the script from TL 2008 and that has the same issue.

I don't read perl so I'm not sure exactly what the script is trying to
do or where things are going wrong. cff2kpx seems to work OK (although
this only produces part of what's needed, I know). What is font2afm
calling/doing to write the first part of the afm?

Thanks,
cfr