[tex-live] Pretest TL2010 (successes)

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jul 16 11:06:08 CEST 2010

Arthur Reutenauer <arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org> wrote:

> > i don't even understand what most of those are about.  there seem to be
> > few comments, and those are often in oriental languages that i can't
> > read.
>
>   The first section contains packages for vertical typesetting, for
> example.  It's an area where input from the Japanese community is
> obviously most valuable, and where TeX Live is somewhat lacking.  But
> this is of course not to contradict you when you say that those packages
> should be uploaded to CTAN first.

no: first, there should be some sort of documentation, if only a readme
file with lists of packages and summaries of what they do.

we've got plenty of files with names that offer no hint and no comments
in the source (see uncatalogued macros/plain/contrib, macros/generic,
macros/latex209/contrib) and i *really* don't want to spend the time
analysing what each package does (using an extension of tex i've never
used) so as to write catalogue entries.

so -- as they stand, they would not be accepted on ctan.  we stopped our
subscription to "if it was difficult to write, it should be difficult to
use" some time ago (but we've got a large backlog of work from those
days ... it takes time to decide "this package is useless nowadays, we
just need to say so").

robin