[tex-live] your eqexam package

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jul 9 15:35:50 CEST 2010

Ralph Martin <Ralph.Martin at cs.cardiff.ac.uk> wrote:

> Let me draw a comparison.
>
> Do any of you guys drive cars?

yes, when the arthritis makes cycling too painful.

> Do any of you have the source code to the engine control unit?

no.  but then my car doesn't have a software control unit.  it's too
old.

> Does that stop you driving your cars, or cause you to refuse to buy
> one?

no (i don't buy a new one because i can't afford it).  but from what i
hear of software controlled cars, source code release may be a good
thing for cars of the future.

> Perhaps you can start to see why for most of us ordinary users, having
> a working package with documentation is to be preferred to having no
> package included because its documentation has no source code.

rather few people suggest that anything becomes inaccessible (and those
that have, have been urged to moderate their language).  what is
suggested is that some documentation will only be available on-line
rather than from the tex live distribution.

i don't know how the car-control-unit analogy maps that situation.

robin