[tex-live] your eqexam package

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Fri Jul 9 13:49:12 CEST 2010

Le 09/07/2010 13:37, Victor Ivrii a écrit :
> On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 7:15 AM, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard <mpg at elzevir.fr> wrote:
>> A short argument: if for some reason they disappear from the TeX community at
>> some point and become unreachable (which I obviously don't wish, but experience
>> proves such things happen), it will be very hard to take over maintenance of
>> their packages, since the documentation will have to be rewritten basically from
>> scratch.
>>
> Here I disagree: first, content of documentation should not be
> recreated. For some packages it would be a matter of retyping. DPStory
> is a completely different story but not because of proprietary fonts
> (fonts could be replaced) but because recreation of astonishing
> effects would require very significant efforts. But even in this case
> it would be less than "from the scratch". Finally, a lazy/time pressed
>  maintainer can use the original documentation + addendum

Well, maybe "basically from scratch" was a bit too strong, but surely you'll
agree that it is much less convenient than editing the source?

Manuel.

PS: as a matter of personal experience, I lost files a few month ago, and had
only a paper copy left from a 40-pages document. I really felt like the source
is an important thing at this point :-)