[tex-live] TL'10 pretest trial

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Tue Jul 6 12:08:56 CEST 2010

On Di, 06 Jul 2010, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:
> Well, imagine you are a windows user, you come to the TL list for help (and/or
> to report a bug or request an improvement), and often the reply is "you're on
> windows? be happy that it works at all", followed by a rant about a randomly
> picked windows gotcha. Won't you feel like a 2nd-class citizen in the TL world?

Be realitstic, that is not the case. We often get questions from W32 users,
and we keep answering them in most cases in the normal way. It is simply
not true that we do the
	"be happy and shut up"
response as default to W32 users.

Philip got his share because we know him well and he is a proud W32
users enjoying bashing other systems as much as we enjoy bashing W32,
aren't you Philip? I don't consider Philip a "normal" user in this respect,
more like a good tester with a very picky taste :-D

Enjoy

> Sorry, but I think Philipp (Stephani) is right, those regular rants on the TL
> list are counter-productive and give a bad image of our work on windows.

Well, we cannot change reality, W32 *is* a pain to support. Period.

> They expect a clear position: we can't say "be happy that it works at all on
> windows" and "we fully support windows since the 90's" in the same thread, this
> is inconsistent.

Why? Sorry as a logician I don't see any inconsistency here.

> Since we support windows, people don't need to be "happy" that
> things work (at least, no more happy that they are on unix):

> we claim it works, so it works, period.

Still one can be happy *that* it works even though there are a lot
of hurdes to master for W32.

Anyway, I guess the bottom line of all that is:
	THANK THANKS Tomek for you wonderful work on W32.

Best wishes

Norbert
BOTLEY
The prominent stain on a man's trouser crotch seen on his return from
the lavatory. A botley proper is caused by an accident with the push
taps, and should not be confused with any stain caused by insufficient
waggling of the willy.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff