[tex-live] About executable files...

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Jul 5 23:12:45 CEST 2010

On 5 July 2010 Victor Ivrii wrote:

 > On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 3:52 PM, Meho R. <meho_r at yahoo.com> wrote:
 > >

 > > While doing a backup, I accidentaly removed executable bit from
 > > whole TeXLive folder recursively, which naturally means none of
 > > the programs (latex, pdflatex, xelatex...) don't work. My
 > > question is: is it safe and enough to select all files in
 > > TeXLive2009/bin/x86_64-linux folder and make them all executable?
 >
 > Yes, except xindy.mem as all other files are either executables or
 > symlinks to executables some of which are in the same directory and
 > some in
 > ../../texmf-dist/scripts/ and its subdirectories

It doesn't hurt if the executable flag is set for xindy.mem.  Whether
it's set or not only has an impact on the error message you get when
you try to execute this file.  But this file isn't supposed to be
executed at all.

You can run the TL live sytem from a USB stick even though all files
are executable on a FAT32 file system.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25