[tex-live] TL'10 pretest trial

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Sun Jul 4 17:43:55 CEST 2010

Le 04/07/2010 14:15, Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) a écrit :
> Norbert Preining wrote:
>
>>> When I first reported this in 2008, I was told a new version of PERLTK was needed
>>> to address this problem; the same was repeated in 2009; surely two years after
>>> my first report, a  newer version must by now have emerged ???
>>
>> No it hasn't. The last version was released a month or so ago and
>> none of us had the time to build and include it into perl/w32.
>
> I see a new version was released in January :
>
> 	 	Tk-804.028_502  	 [Download] [Browse]   	30 Jan 2010  ** DEVELOPER RELEASE **
>
> Was that version considered for adoption ?

It is tagged as a developer release. I didn't look into it, but it doesn't sound
like it means "ready for production".

>> The rest of the comments are interesting, but not so importatnt,
>> we are discussion *pretest*, so you are expected to read and understand
>> the text, even if some parameters are explained later than expected.
>
> Yes, we /are/ discussing "pretest", and I assume (I hope correctly)
> that you want pre-testers.  My point is that you are making it
> unnecessarily difficult for pre-testers to even get started --
> surely it is not that difficult to write a brief introduction to
> the process of pre-testing that actually /helps/ potential
> pre-testers rather than acting as a deterrent ?

Pretesters are expected to be advanced users, and to easily come and talk on the
TL list. When they do so, we help them installing if necessary. For now, we
didn't have so many questions about the pretesting process on the list (but many
bug reports about pretest, indicating we do have pretesters), so I guess the
explanations on the page are more or less suited to the average pretester.

Manuel.