[tex-live] can you remove a package from TeXLive?

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jan 26 09:15:47 CET 2010

Dan Drake <drake at kaist.edu> wrote:

> > i.e., there's a .deb containing an outdated sage system?  or there's
> > no-one working to update sagetex to current ctan standards?  (we know
> > that's false.)
>
> The .deb for Sage is outdated.

so sagetex is ok?

> > however, we don't know (since you've not answered my question about
> > ctan) whether you consider that our (ctan's) holding of sagetex is
> > outdated.  since texlive and miktex have what ctan holds, this seems a
> > significant germane question.
>
> CTAN's copy of SageTeX is pretty current. I've noticed that updates to
> CTAN happen pretty quickly; I'm concerned here about how long it would
> take for updates to filter into TL or MikTeX, and then into other
> packaging systems, etc.

ctan installation should be within a day of submission.

cataloguing happens within a day, often within a minute or so of
installation.

tex live typically packages within a day of ctan installation.

miktex packages once a week, roughly.

> > do you want me to delete the ctan holding?
>
> It seems like it would be nice if SageTeX stayed on CTAN, but was not
> included in TL. I don't know how reasonable or easy that arrangement is,
> though.

karl seems to be able to grok the problem.

robin