[tex-live] TeXLive build hangs if scheme-basic and collection-latexrecommended is already installed on the system

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Jan 26 00:37:05 CET 2010

Hi Jindrich,

    I'm experiencing this behaviour for at least few weeks back. The latest
    TeXLive build hangs with:

    kpathsea: Running mktextfm ptmr7t

It doesn't happen for me when doing our build.
What part of your "build" is trying to access the font?
That is, what comes before that msg you started with?

    It seems that obsoleted "times" package is at fault here.

I see nothing wrong with the times package, nor would I exactly consider
it "obsoleted", in the sense that we'll never remove it, even though
better alternatives exist.  Anyway, nothing has changed wrt ptmr7t and
the like for many years.

The error is happening because something is expecting to find
ptmr7t.tfm.  It exists in the TL tree
(texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/adobe/times/ptmr7t.tfm).  It doesn't exist in yours
if all you have is scheme-basic.  You need collection-fontsrecommended.
The purpose of basic is to be basic, I don't want to include all the PS
font stuff there.