[tex-live] can you remove a package from TeXLive?

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 19:05:03 CET 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 6:50 AM, Dan Drake <drake at kaist.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm afraid I need to request that a package be removed from TeXLive. I'm
> the maintainer of SageTeX [1], which works with Sage [2] and LaTeX.
> Since Sage is (largely) a Python program, SageTeX uses both a Python
> module and LaTeX style file, and these two things need to be
> synchronized if SageTeX is going to work.
>
> A new version of Sage gets released once a month or so, and while
> TeXLive is updated frequently, I don't think most users update TL as
> often as they might update Sage. I've already run into problems with
> sagetex.sty from TL shadowing the version from Sage, so I think in this
> case it would be best to request that SageTeX be removed from TL.

Currently, <http://wiki.sagemath.org/#Images.2BAC8Plotting.2BAC8Art>
points to CTAN for sagetex.  Is there another place to find it?   It does
not appear to be included in the Ubuntu 9.10 packages.

In my view, there is no point putting something that can only be used with
one 3rd party app in TL -- it just makes work for all concerned.  TL and
MiKTeX both make it easy to include additional texmf trees -- why not tell
sage to RTF {TL,miktex} M and add a sagetex texmf tree, which would
need to be included in the distribution?

If sage updates don't change the top level directory then the texmf
directory only needs to be set once.  If file names are changed, the installer
can regenerate the ls-R or fndb as appropriate, but I assume most
updates would reuse the names.

> I hate doing this, as I'm very pleased that my work has been included
> with TL, but I think it's probably the best thing to do.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dan
>
>  1. http://tug.ctan.org/pkg/sagetex/
>  2. http://sagemath.org