[tex-live] Problem using htlatex with babel under TeX Live 2009

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Fri Jan 22 17:39:06 CET 2010

Hi Marcel,

Marcel Turcotte a écrit :
> I ran intro trouble when using htlatex on files where I am also using
> babel/french. These documents used to work fine with previous versions of the
> distribution, but now fail.

There is unfortunately a slight incompatibility between the version of frenchb
included in TL09 and tex4ht. The maintainers of both tex4ht and frenchb are
aware of it, and the problem was solved with french 2.4, but it will take take
for it to be incorporated in babel hence in TL.

In the meanwhile, you can either grand a newer frenchb from Daniel's site [1]
and install it locally, or add the following lines to your premable as a
temporary workaround:

+  \makeatletter
+  \AtBeginDocument{\let\FDP at space\FDP at colonspace}
+  \makeatother

(That's the hack I used to get the French documentation of TeX Live compile with
tex4ht on TL09...)

> encl: a small example to illustrate the problem,

Thanks a lot for your precise report. I wish everyone gave as much information
as you :-)

Manuel.