[tex-live] [pdftex] PDF 1.5 by default in TL 2010

Thierry Bouche Thierry.Bouche at ujf-grenoble.fr
Wed Jan 13 14:41:40 CET 2010

Le mercredi 13 janvier 2010 à 13:22:17, Élie écrivit :

ÉR> I have AR 9 and AR 5 on the same machine, I guess it's possible to
ÉR> have AA 5 too... did you try?

I tried it with AR 7 and AA 5 (and it was as I just said). Never
since I upgraded to Acorbat pro 8 or 9.

ÉR> When you build a software dealing with PDFs, you don't just read the
ÉR> PDF character by character and do things according to the character
ÉR> you see with a spaghetti code, you rely on a PDF library, and they all
ÉR> can read PDF 1.5 when they are in a recent version, so I don't really
ÉR> see your point here...

This might be true, I just wanted to raise the issue. For instance, I
know of people that *do not read* the PDF but just parse its
structure to get directly to some objects they extract.

I also think that in the logic of long term archiving and access to
PDF's content, having a more-or-less transparent structure is
obviously safer. But I wouldn't advocate that pdftex only output PDF/A
by default anyway.

>> I've been told that most text
>> file transfer over the networks are compressed on the fly by the
>> routers (?) so that the actual impact on bandwidth might be zero.

ÉR> Aouch !!!

when writing router I knew that it would be questionable (thus the
question mark!). The rumour was that in many cases some component of
the network infrastructure do compress the files.

 Thierry