[tex-live] PDF 1.5 by default in TL 2010

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Wed Jan 13 10:25:36 CET 2010

Élie Roux wrote:

 > It is an improvement in the sense that it allows \pdfobjcompression
 > which decreases the size of the PDFs. For me having smaller PDFs is an
 > improvement,

No disagreement so far.

 > as well as for 99% of users

but this is an insupportable generalisation, which is where
we take issue.

 > So I
 > guess the whole point is to know whether it's better to have small
 > PDFs or PDFs readable by a 9 year-old software...

A less biased way of expressing this would be "... small/er/ PDFs,
or PDFs readable by a larger fraction of the potential set of
consumers".

 > If it's not a good default value for pdfTeX, can it be at least the
 > default for LuaTeX? People working with luatex certainly know they are
 > dealing with modern things not mandatorily compatible with 2001
 > softwares... and the LuaTeX manual cannot be viewed by Acrobat 5.05
 > anyway (it is \pdfobjcompressed).

Agreed (that it cannot be opened in AA 5.0.5) : "The file is
damaged and cannot be repaired".  What is the lowest version of
AA that /can/ open the file successfully ?

 > Also it's strange that you manage to open the microtype pdf, it bugs
 > the same way for 5.05 as for 6.0 (I see only blank pages and I have
 > some error messages all the time).

Are you using AA 5.0.5, or AR ?

** Phil.