[tex-live] [pdftex] PDF 1.5 by default in TL 2010

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 11:35:22 CET 2010

2010/1/11 Martin Schröder <martin at oneiros.de>:

> Nothing stops you from generating PDF 1.4 instead; those who want to
> generate PDF/X-3 will have to fiddle with their engines anyway.
>
> Best
>   Martin

Currently the default setting is pdf-1.4 aka Acroread 5. It does not
prevent many users to produce pdf-1.5 with compression. However for
majority of users one extra line in the preamble seems too much - why
otherwise we see a lot of math manuscripts without hyperref.

So in my opinion the best default is what is the best for this mass of
losers - not that I care much about them but I care about myself as
some of these pdf files I need to read. In this sense I am for pdf-1.5
and those who know what pdf/X- is definitely know how to adjust
settings. However I am an extremist: if it was up to me hyperref would
be loaded by the default (I know, I know that it should be loaded
after (almost)  all other packages)

Victor