[tex-live] Texlive installation hangs on Vista

T T t34www at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 9 03:27:57 CET 2010

2010/1/8 kap4lin <kap4lin at gmail.com>:

>>> The output in command prompt suggest a problem in the menu group
>>> (directory) creation. Most likely there is no write access there. My
>>> guess would be that the installer runs in the user mode but tries to
>>> create shortcuts for all users (requires admin). No idea why this
>>> could happen, though. Siep, Norbert, any ideas?
>
> Yes, that is the case.

[snip]

> D:running postaction=install for dviout.win32
> C:\Users\Public\DOWNLO~1\INSTAL~1\INSTAL~1\install-tl: mkdir(//)
> failed, goodbye: Permission denied

Well, not quite. It tries to create // directory and chokes on it
obviously. My guess is that USERPROFILE is set to a network location
and our code mishandles network paths. If that's the case than I know
how to fix it. It would be great if you could confirm that. Just start
regedit, navigate to:

  HKCU/software/microsoft/windows/currentversion/explorer/shell folders

and tell me what's under Programs key.

Cheers,

Tomek