[tex-live] TL 2009: texdoc -l and ChangeLog and some others

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jan 6 10:01:11 CET 2010

Victor Ivrii <vivrii at gmail.com> wrote:

> texdoc -l does not list files ChangeLog, Changes and such esoteric as
> README.eurosans
>  (texdoc eurofont). Probably this is not the complete list but
> ChangeLog without any modifications is listed 46 times. Would be it
> possible to make them listed (if possible not only ChangeLog but its
> derivatives and derivatives of README

we have a lot of those:

  $ grep README FILES.byname | grep -v README$ | wc
      325    1625   22289

and mostly (when they come to our notice) we rename them to just README
-- which is what we ask for on upload.  i've renamed the eurosans one.

however, we can't always be quite so cavalier.  for example:

2000/05/16 |      38950 | fonts/psfonts/polish/antp/README.ENG
2000/05/16 |      39227 | fonts/psfonts/polish/antp/README.POL

obviously can't both be renamed; there are other packages where there
are multiple READMEs that can't be treated simplistically like
README.eurosans

and what do we do about

2009/12/28 |      45472 | macros/latex/contrib/hyperref/README
2009/12/28 |     297417 | macros/latex/contrib/hyperref/README.pdf

which are separately listed as hyperref doc in the catalogue.

would it be possible for texdoc to grok the documentation entries in the
catalogue?  i could process the catalogue into pretty much anything
manuel would like, if it is of any use.

robin

(who's tried hard to do capitalisation right when it's important...)