[tex-live] couldn't install on Windows 7

Geoffrey S. Knauth geoff at knauth.org
Sat Jan 2 06:44:51 CET 2010

Short version:  TeX Live 2009 is now on my kids' Windows 7 computer.  --Geoff

On Dec 20, 2009, at 20:49, T T wrote:
> DEP could be the problem given the 0xc0000005 error (access
> violation). Worth checking.

I checked, and DEP was not the issue.  In the end, running BitDefender
anti-virus live protection was the issue.  I had contacted BitDefender,
and their suggestion to me was that I remove Google Desktop.  Well, I
don't have Google Desktop.  Here's what I wrote them:

<gsk_to_bitdefender>
I do not have Google Desktop.

I temporarily turned off BitDefender's live protection and then was
able to install TeX Live 2009 without problems.  TeX Live 2009 is a
set of programs I (and many others) trust.  Apparently you
(BitDefender) had an issue with the version of Perl they were running
off their CD.
</gsk_to_bitdefender>

P.S.  Independently, Strawberry Perl, which had not worked ten days
ago, managed to start working even before I turned BitDefender off.
Maybe it just needed a certain number of Windows reboots.  Or maybe
Windows was in a better mood after the Christmas holiday.