[tex-live] Rush of installs

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Feb 25 15:35:14 CET 2010

Uwe Siart <usenet at siart.de> wrote:

> Victor Ivrii <vivrii at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Recently TL2009 had a rush of updates and installs. I am a bit
> > confused however: tonight I noticed that endnotes was auto-installed
> > ([Thu Feb 25 04:20:30 2010] auto-install new: endnotes (17197)) but
> > AFAIK it was part of TL and log file does not show it to be removed at
> > some moment
>
> endnotes.sty has been part of the ltxmisc package before.

and it isn't now.

there are lots of these (i listed 23 in a reply to someone else about
something else, this morning).

a small group (philipp stephani doing most of the work, and me[*]) have
been generating documentation for packages.  people have been
complaining about the lack of some documentation, but i guess it's only
to be expected that they would also complain about the side-effectss of
generating it.

it's likely to take a *very* long time to document all the packages that
need it.  (i've been working on cataloguing everything for nearly two
years, and though i'm near to absolute stasis, there are still a few i
more or less understand that don't yet appear in the catalogue.
documentation requires more effort than cataloguing...)

documentation generation is unlikely to cover anything but latex
packages (though philipp has done one latex 2.09 package), but there are
an awful lot, and while most aren't as obscure as the typical
undocumented plain tex package[**], a lot are going to take quite a bit
of work.

robin

[*] i've also done all the installation and catalogue updates.
[**] type example "% this is neat" followed by a few lines of tex whose
context, let alone behaviour, i can't [be bothered to] work out.