[tex-live] Stable vs. Unstable/Testing Update Repositories?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Feb 23 22:51:54 CET 2010

Hi Claire,

1) People on deadlines shouldn't update.  The only combination of
   packages that is or can be tested is the one that ships as the yearly
   release.  Personally, I keep an installation of that on my machine,
   and never update it.

2) There is no feasible way for anyone involved (authors, CTAN, TL) to
   know what a given update breaks and what doesn't.  So there's no
   feasible way to have branches (in addition, it would be a huge amount
   of work and a huge additional complication).

3) I don't know what the problem is with the new beamer not making it to
   mirrors, or if that's really what's happening.  The new package was
   posted in the tlnet repository on Feb 19 (file size of
   beamer.tar.xz=94756).  I haven't checked the mirrors to see which
   don't have it.  In any event, I will attach the new file to this
   file.  It differs only in comments from the patch that was posted
   (thanks, Vladimir and Ulrike).  At least I hope so.

Best,
Karl