[tex-live] page size bug or problem

Rainer J.H. Brandt rjhb at bb-c.de
Sat Feb 13 13:58:43 CET 2010

Hello everybody,

after using teTeX for a long time, I have recently switched to
TeX Live 2009 on Solaris 10 and OpenSolaris, and to MacTeX 2009
on OS X Leopard.

My TeX Live has a default page size A4, but unfortunately it seems
that A4 output is all it wants to produce.

Running "tex sizetestplain.tex" produces sizetestplain.dvi with A4
size, with the following input in sizetestplain.tex:
\hsize=100mm
\vsize=150mm
Hello.
\bye

Running "pdflatex sizetestlatex.tex" produces sizetestlatex.pdf with
A4 size, with the following input in sizetestlatex.tex:
\documentclass{article}
\setlength{\paperheight}{150mm}
\setlength{\paperwidth}{100mm}
\begin{document}
Hello.
\end{document}

That didn't happen with teTeX 3.  Using that, I got output files
with height 150mm and width 100mm.

That's a bug in TeX Live 2009, right?
(I think a default should be a default.)

Thanks in advance for any helpful comment!
Rainer
Rainer J. H. Brandt
Email: rjhb at bb-c.de
Telefon: 02448/919126
Mobiltelefon: 0172/9593205

Brandt & Brandt Computer GmbH
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J. H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513