[tex-live] Non-PDF documentation

Manuel Pegourie-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Mon Feb 8 18:00:38 CET 2010

David Kastrup wrote:
>> This was discussed in depth already.  DVI is not an option at all
>> because DVI files don't incorporate all the needed resources (fonts,
>> graphics,...).
>
> TeXlive has those resources.  TeXlive is not CTAN or the web.

The reasoning is as follows:
1. DVI is not suitable for the web, hence not suitable for CTAN.
2. The material in TeX Live is the material from CTAN.
3. Therefore, there will be PDFs in TeX Live.

Besides, TeX Live doesn't always have the resources. The fonts used in a
given DVI may not be part of a given TeX Live installation (because the
installation is not a full install, or the fonts are non-free, etc.)

(I can find other arguments for PDF, but I guess you'll disagree with them,
so I try to keep the discussion on the technical points.)

If you want to have DVI's in your local installation of TeX Live, please
write a script to generate them. If it works, feel free to report success so
that others who prefer DVI can benefit from it.

Manuel.