[tex-live] external perl on win32

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 21:29:37 CET 2010

2010/12/15 Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk>:

> T T wrote:
>
>> We plan to introduce an explicit option to enable search for an
>> external Perl with a default value set to disabled.  Are there any
>> users relying on the current behaviour, who would not welcome that
>> change?
>
> I would normally expect to have Active Perl on a PC prior to
> installing TeX Live, but I cannot envisage any situation in
> which I rely on this fact.

One year ago I tried to run quite a simple Perl/Tk program on a WinXP
computer with Active State Perl and it crashed when displaying the
very first window. I grabbed Strawberry Perl from TL repository and it
works fine. I am afraid that it is difficult to know whether the
installed Perl is complete enough. It is possible to write a perl
script that will test whether everything is available but it will be a
lot of work.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/