[tex-live] Value of TEXDOCS in texmf.cnf needs adjustment ?

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Tue Dec 14 11:03:44 CET 2010

>> Wouldn't it be better if one could put a texmf.cnf in texmf-local?
>
> I wonder whether that would create a paradox ?  Might TeX & friends
> not have to consult TeXMF.cnf in order to know where TeXMF-Local is ?

Hi Philip

but from the doc, it seems that all texmf.cnf files are read, so for
example
my texmf.cnf in /usr/local/texlive/2010/ contains only three lines

TEXMFHOME = ~/Library/texmf
TEXMFVAR = ~/Library/texlive/2010/texmf-var
TEXMFCONFIG = ~/Library/texlive/2010/texmf-config

Hence the bulk of the configuration is still in the initial texmf.cnf in
/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf/web2c/

However, if TEXMFLOCAL is redefined in a copy of texmf.cnf in
texmf-local/  . . .
. . . then I guess things could happen,

but I am just a user, I know nothing of the internals of texlive

regards,
Jean-Francois Burnol