[tex-live] updmap and TEXMFHOME

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Dec 5 22:46:26 CET 2010

On 5 December 2010 Ulrike Fischer wrote:

 > Am Sat, 4 Dec 2010 23:40:34 +0100 schrieb Reinhard Kotucha:
 >
 > >> I understand what Ulrike means. Imagine that I have an
 > >> "improved" version of PFB filesand I want to tes them using the
 > >> same TFM files. I do not want to install them because I am not
 > >> sure that I want to use them in all document. I therefore add
 > >> \pdfmapline or \pdfmapfile to the beginning of the document.
 >

 > > Ok, I didn't consider this case.  I recently did it the other way
 > > round: I created new metrics for Bitstream Charter and thus had a
 > > renamed tfm file.
 > >
 > > But if this all is about testing, a simple solution is to load
 > > the .fd files before setting \pdfmapline in the preamble.  They
 > > won't be overwritten later.
 >
 > Yes I meant the case that someone would like to change the
 > pdfmap-entries, but I didn't thought only about testing. I also
 > thought about settings like dvipsPreferOutline, dvipsDownloadBase35
 > and LW35 in updmap.cfg. Do you really think that a user who wants to
 > use the adobe fonts instead of the urw fonts should be forced to add
 > some code to every document?

No.  When a user wants to use an Adobe font in one document, he
doesn't want to break all the other documents.  You cannot reliably
use Adobe fonts with metrics for URW fonts.  I was told that there are
already different versions of the Adobe fonts.  Hence, the behavior is
quite unpredictable.  Not downloading the fonts is even worse.

Nevertheless, one could also consider a config file written in TeX.

I think it's desirable to be able to specify the fonts in documents.
It's not possible with updmap.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25