[tex-live] TeX4ht does not work properly with default TeXLive Windows install

T T t34www at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 25 12:26:23 CEST 2010

On 25 August 2010 08:00, Beuthe, Thomas <beuthet at aecl.ca> wrote:

> Then I noticed that ImageMagick uses ghostscript.
> I had ghostscript installed, but it was not in the path by default in Windows,
> so I added it, and also made sure that I had the latest version of ghostscript loaded,
> since my relatively old version was not able to produce png files,
> and re-ran, and lo and behold, there were the required .png files,
> just a pretty as can be.  Everything now displayed as expected.
>
> The conclusion: TeX4ht requires the installation of ImageMagic, which in turn
> requires the installation of ghostscript, both of which are not available
> by default on a Windows machine, and which are not installed by default
> when TeXLive is installed.  Both are required to be on the path, which may
> require some manual tweaking of the path for ghostscript.

On a cursory glance at texmf-dist/tex4ht/base/win32/tex4ht.env it
would appear that creating .png files shouldn't require the convert
util at all, only GS is needed.

We include GS with TL, so it shouldn't be necessary to install it.  It
is not available outside of TL (it is hidden), but our tools are
started through a wrapper that puts GS on the path for them.  So, if
the convert util from ImageMagick is started by tex4ht, gswin32c.exe
should be already on the path or something is malfunctioning.

Cheers,

Tomek