[tex-live] TexLive utf8 problem

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Wed Aug 25 07:38:39 CEST 2010

On Di, 24 Aug 2010, Eurico de Sousa wrote:
> ~/testLatex:latex utf8test.tex
> This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.4.5)
> (./utf8test.tex
> LaTeX2e <2001/06/01>
> Babel <v3.7h> and hyphenation patterns for american, french, german, ngerman, n
> ohyphenation, loaded.
> (/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/article.cls

> ! LaTeX Error: File `utf8.def' not found.

> I believe the make check also gave this utf8.def error. I have no idea what to do with this as I'm a sys admin and don't know anything about this product. The client says he needs this fixed. I install TexLive under /usr/local/. There is a utf8.def file under /usr/local/2009/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/utf8.def. Can you please tell me what's wrong or how we can fix this?

Yes, but your are running latex from /usr/bin/latex which is the
distribution TeX ... otherwise it would not search for in /usr/share/texmf/..

As a Unix sysadmin you should know about PATH issues ... the problem is
probably that /usr/local/2009/... (BTW, why did you remove the "texlive"
part, normally it is /usr/local/texlive/2009/?!?) is where you installed
everything, so the binaries are in
	/usr/local/2009/bin/YOUR_ARCHITECTURE/
and this has to be added *BEFORE* the other latex in the PATH setting.

Best wishes

Norbert