[tex-live] Fwd: files generated by fmtutil/updmap -- platform independent?

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sun Aug 22 11:19:04 CEST 2010

Hi Marc,

On Sa, 21 Aug 2010, Marc Espie wrote:
> I think you guys have things wrong, from a packaging point of view.

Of course, many years of working and packaging these beasts did
not increase our knowledge at all, so please ... enlighten us ...

> - during packaging, scan information *relevant to the package at hand* and
> store it in the package (as a partial map/partial ls-R), in a specific
> place (say a given directory).
> - during install, after doing each and every package, just merge those
> partial maps together, and create the "final" map files and ls-R.

The slight problem is the "just merge" you mentioned ...

> I'm pretty sure this is not even hard-to-do, you would just have to
> figure out a place to dump partial information, and extend the tools
> slightly to separate the scanning/merging/creating map information.

So if you are pretty sure, stop insulting us, [insult deleted] and program it!!!
Let me see the outcome, and I will be one of the first who merges it
into Debian packages for example ...

> I'm pretty certain that *you can get rid of 99% of the time spent running
> special commands* during install for the end user.  This makes a huge
> difference for people wanting to run texlive on small netbooks (or
> zaurii), and will even be useful for people with fast machines.

Yes yes, easy scanning the updmap.cfg file, which has redirections
to the map files, and they again contain definitions.

Just a small question: What to do with duplicate entries? Sorting?

Sure, everything *can* be done, so please DO IT and [insult deleted]

Best wishes

Norbert

PS I deleted the insults on purpose, not that we again get complains that
we do no treat our customers (where what customers?) in a proper way!