[tex-live] mktexlsr ignores "rcs" on a Windows 7 machine

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 16:40:31 CEST 2010

2010/8/18 Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk>:

> Zdenek Wagner wrote:
>>
>> RCS directory is an administrative area of an RCS working copy
>> (similarly CVS directory for CVS wirking copy). Such directories
>> should not be seen by TeX. Unfortunatelly, Windows file systems are
>> not case sensitive, so they consider rcs and RCS being equal.
>
> But it would be perfectly reasonable for a TeX user (Windows,
> Unix, whatever) to /want/ a directory called (case-irrelevant)
> "RCS", "CVS", or whatever, so to deliberately ignore such
> directories just because they /might/ be something to
> do with a Revision Control System, or a C-dontknow
> ?Versioning? System would seem to me a fairly major design
> error to me.  How many normal TeX users have even /heard/
> of RCS or CVS, let alone use one or other in conjunction
> with their TeX work ?

I would prefer another solution. TL developers know what directories
are ignored and they decide what the directory names of the packages
would be. Knowing that TL  may be installed on a case insensitive file
system, the directory names in the TL packages should be made safe
with this respect.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/