[tex-live] mktexlsr ignores "rcs" on a Windows 7 machine

Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Wed Aug 18 16:35:03 CEST 2010

Zdenek Wagner wrote:
> RCS directory is an administrative area of an RCS working copy
> (similarly CVS directory for CVS wirking copy). Such directories
> should not be seen by TeX. Unfortunatelly, Windows file systems are
> not case sensitive, so they consider rcs and RCS being equal.

But it would be perfectly reasonable for a TeX user (Windows,
Unix, whatever) to /want/ a directory called (case-irrelevant)
"RCS", "CVS", or whatever, so to deliberately ignore such
directories just because they /might/ be something to
do with a Revision Control System, or a C-dontknow
?Versioning? System would seem to me a fairly major design
error to me.  How many normal TeX users have even /heard/
of RCS or CVS, let alone use one or other in conjunction
with their TeX work ?

Philip Taylor