[tex-live] LY1

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Aug 15 01:01:14 CEST 2010

Hi Clea,

    I noticed that texnansi.enc includes germandbls twice but no SS. The
    same is true of the 8y.etx included with fontinst. Is this intentional?
    If so, could somebody explain the thinking behind it?

As for texnansi goes, the first germandbls (at "19) is to match CM
(thus, existing macros would work).

The second (at "DF) is to match ISO Latin N encodings (thus, documents
written in Latin 1 or whatever would work).

I assume that 8y.etx was following the .enc.

By the way, there is texnansx which eliminates the duplicates from
texnansi.  (There are others besides germandbls.)

As for SS, the general idea of the original TeX encodings was the exact
opposite of (and considerably predates) Unicode: encode glyphs, not
characters (because glyphs are what are in fonts, after all).  SS was
not needed as a separate glyph (and doesn't exist in Latin N, either).
SS did make it into T1 (and "extex.enc", I see), as you probably know.

Best,
karl