[tex-live] texdoc issues

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Fri Aug 13 14:48:18 CEST 2010

Le 13/08/2010 05:44, Dan Luecking a écrit :
>    1 C:\TL\2010\texmf-dist\doc\latex\pgf-umlsd\pgf-umlsd-demo.pdf
>      = Package demo
>    2 C:\TL\2010\texmf-dist\doc\latex\pgf-umlsd\pgf-umlsd-demo2.pdf
>      = Package demo (2)
>    3 C:\TL\2010\texmf-dist\doc\generic\pgf\pgfmanual.pdf
>    4 C:\TL\2010\texmf-dist\doc\generic\pgf\images\pgfmanual-mindmap-1.pdf
>    5 C:\TL\2010\texmf-dist\doc\generic\pgf\images\pgfmanual-mindmap-2.pdf
>    6 C:\TL\2010\texmf-dist\doc\latex\pgf-soroban\pgf-soroban-doc.pdf
>
> I can't imagine what heuristics would not put 3 above 1 and 2.
> Perhaps the bonus for directories which exactly match the
> keyword (pgf in this case) is not sufficiently high. It ought to
> put 3, 4, and 5 at the top. Changing it in score.tlu from 0.5 to
> 1.0 sets things right.
>
> Running texdoc with -d, it seems that number 3 (pgfmanual) gets
> a heuristic score of 3.5, while number 1 (pgf-umlsd-demo) gets
> a heuristic score of only 1.0. Somehow, however, the latter gets
> 2.5 added to its heuristic score. I can't imagine why.

The 2.5 is the score for a comment in the catalogue (here "Package demo"). Such
comments are free-form strings, so it's not easy to know what to do with them,
but in general texdoc assumes they mean the file is important (unless it finds
"readme" in the comment, then the added score is lower). (I'll expand the debug
output to make that clearer.)

The point here is, pdfmanual.pdf doesn't have any comment, which is surprising,
since it there is one in my installation. Can you please try

tlmgr install --reinstall pgf

and see if it fixes the problem? (Comments are read from texlive.tlpdb.)

Regardless of this problem, you're right that the bonus for good directory
should probably be higher. I'll think a bit further and do a few checks, and
probably change it.

Thanks for your report and suggestion,
Manuel.