[tex-live] Curious error message in tlmgr.

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Wed Aug 4 03:39:56 CEST 2010

Please stay on list (again!!!), don't you have a group reply key?

I found more disturbing pieces in your installation:

Once you said:
> fmtutil-sys --byhyphen
> /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-var/tex/generic/config/language.def failed
> (status 1), output:
> fmtutil: no format depends on hyphen file
> `/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-var/tex/generic/config/language.def'.

That suggests that you have installed into /usr/local/texlive/2009, right?

Later on you said
> This is the output I got when I typed the
> kpsewhich fmtutil.cnf command in a terminal.
> **********************
> /opt/texlive/2009/texmf-var/web2c/fmtutil.cnf
> ************************

Which hints at /opt/texlive/2009/...

Then again, which fmtutil is
> The output is
> /usr/bin/fmtutil
> I have created links to this directory.

Links from where to where?

Can you please either give a clear explanation
- how you did install
- where you did install
- what links you set up
- and anything else that might be interesing!!!

So next step, please run the following as root, and send me the terminal
output as well as the fmtutil.log file, thanks.
	tlmgr conf
	which tlmgr
	ls -l `which tlmgr`
	which fmtutil
	ls -l `which fmtutil`
	ls -l /opt/texlive/20009
	ls -l /usr/local/texlive/2009
	ls -l ~/.texlive2009/
	echo $TEXMFVAR
	echo $TEXMFCONFIG
	v=`kpsewhich -var-value TEXMFSYSVAR`
	c=`kpsewhich -var-value TEXMFSYSCONFIG`
	TEXMFVAR="$v"
	TEXMFCONFIG="$c"
	export TEXMFVAR TEXMFCONFIG
	f=`kpsewhich language.def`
	echo "$f"
	bash -x /usr/bin/fmtutil --byhyphen "$f"

> I generally su as root while I install texlive  as I carry
> out some maintenance activities like adding my local files
> to the tex data base and adding maps for fonts like arial.
> I find it irritating to add sudo to every command.  Some commands
> do not work without explicitly logging in as root.

Please before doing all this kind of messing around learn the basics
of Unix user management, at least the simple things like read/write permissions!

Best wishes

Norbert