[tex-live] [Fwd: Re: TeXLive Perl + latexmk (windows)]

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu Apr 15 23:49:02 CEST 2010

On 15 April 2010 Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:

 > Reinhard Kotucha a écrit :
 > > And I'm sure that the word "install" is clear enough and even
 > > unexperienced Windows users understand what it means.
 > >
 > >   s/install/setup/
 > >
 > > makes sense if we assume that Windows users are unable to read
 > > but are familiar with patterns like "setup".  But should TeX Live
 > > assume that Windows users are idiots?
 > >
 > Well, I was rather thinking of s/bat/exe/ and s/tl/texlive/ as
 > being more helpful.

I agree with you that s/tl/texlive/ is useful but I don't understand
why you prefer s/bat/exe/ at all.  The Widows Exploder suppresses
filename extensions by default anyway.

 > > I don't worry so much about the "look and feel" because TeX is a
 > > commandline tool anyway.
 >
 > I quite strongly disagree here. Look at what exists on the Mac with
 > TeXshop and MacTeX. I can assure you it counts for users.

I don't object if people adapt GUIs for particular systems.  But I
don't think that anybody avoids TeX Live only because tlmgr's Perl/Tk
interface doesn't provide color gradients in title bars.

Unfortunately I don't have a Mac.  As far as I understand MacTeX
adapts tlmgr's GUI.  But is tlmgr's CLI kept intact?  I hope so.

 > > But I strongly disagree.  It's impossible to provide reasonable
 > > support for Windows and simultaneously treat Windows users as
 > > idiots.
 > >
 > I don't think that caring about details and the look and feel of a
 > software distribution is treating users as idiots (regardless of
 > the underlying OS).

But if you are concerned about color gradients in title bar
backgrounds, you actually treat users as idiots.  Sorry.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25