[tex-live] [Fwd: Re: TeXLive Perl + latexmk (windows)]

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Thu Apr 15 13:21:21 CEST 2010

Reinhard Kotucha a écrit :
> And I'm sure that the word "install" is clear enough and even
> unexperienced Windows users understand what it means.
>
>   s/install/setup/
>
> makes sense if we assume that Windows users are unable to read but are
> familiar with patterns like "setup".  But should TeX Live assume that
> Windows users are idiots?

Well, I was rather thinking of s/bat/exe/ and s/tl/texlive/ as being more helpful.

> I don't worry so much about the "look and feel" because TeX is a
> commandline tool anyway.

I quite strongly disagree here. Look at what exists on the Mac with TeXshop and
MacTeX. I can assure you it counts for users. If TeXworks is developed and
shipped with TL on windows, it's for a reason. IMO, TeX shouldn't be reserved to
command-line lovers but rather be made more accessible and less frightening to
more users.

> But I strongly disagree.  It's impossible to provide reasonable
> support for Windows and simultaneously treat Windows users as idiots.

I don't think that caring about details and the look and feel of a software
distribution is treating users as idiots (regardless of the underlying OS).

Manuel.