[tex-live] notes2bib

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Apr 4 01:24:51 CEST 2010

On 3 April 2010 Joseph Wright wrote:

 > On 03/04/2010 22:38, Karl Berry wrote:
 > >      The update system seems to have missed my recent upload of
 > >      notes2bib,
 > >
 > > The system didn't miss it.  What's missing is my time.
 >
 > Oh, I see. I'd assumed that everything was done more-or-less
 > automatically. (I think this is how MiKTeX works.)

Not everything can be done automatically.  There are scripts which
create TeX Live packages from packages on CTAN.  But these scripts
have to be adapted manually if, for instance, someone uploads a new
version of a particular package to CTAN with a modified directory
structure.

As far as MikTeX is concerned, some years ago I told Christian that a
new release of VnTeX is available.  He told me that he retrieved the
package from the TeX Live repository.  Sure enough, if MikTeX gathers
packages from the TeX Live repository rather than from CTAN,
everything can be done automatically.  And IMO this is the most
reasonable approach.

However, the hard task is to integrate packages from CTAN into TeX Live
and this can't be done automatically.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25