[tex-live] datestamp in texcat

Alexander Cherepanov cherepan at mccme.ru
Fri Sep 25 06:45:05 CEST 2009

Hi Norbert!
On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 15:55:58 +0200, Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:

>> Sorry, no. What you say is (or was:-) also my understanding exactly.
>> But Karl seems to say the opposite (look at the top of the quote).
>> Still not sure how to interpret it...

> Well, Karl and me both are right, the problem is that the story in
> reality is longer (even longer than I thought):
>
> THe tlpdb is re-created every day on tug.org in a separate master check-out.
> In this tlpdb the update catalogue entries are actually updated on
> a daily basis.

That's rsync://tug.org/tldevsrc/Master/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb, I suppose.

> After the tlpdb update the master tlpdb is compared with the one from tlnet
> and only those packages with increased revision numbers are updated, thus
> changes to the catalogue occur in the master check out, but are not
> transfered to tlnet unless an actual package update is done.

That's rsync://ftp.math.utah.edu/texlive/tlnet/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb and
the like.

> I hope we are getting at it.

Yes, that makes much more sense. Thanks for the explanation.

It looks crazy at the first sight but in fact seems to be a right
thing. One needs to rebuild the package database anyway (to include
compressed sizes and md5) so additional safeguards are appropriate at
this point.

I see that most packages in tlnet version are "relocated" but many are
not. What does it mean?

The package descriptions in tlnet version are not stripped from utf-8
symbols (apostrophes, dashes and probably others) while such symbols
are converted to ascii in master copy. For example, compare the
descriptions for AkkTeX package. Hope that's ok.

Alexander Cherepanov