[tex-live] TeX Live Manager update does work because of obsoleted records in tlpdb

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Wed Sep 23 18:46:43 CEST 2009

On Mi, 23 Sep 2009, Peter Cibulka wrote:
> Unfortunately the Update tab remains blank - no packages are displayed and the right window contains text "Everything up-to-date!". See the attached file TeX_Live_Manager.PNG.

Most probably because we didn't do any update to TL2008 since some month!

If you want to test TL2009 please see
	tug.org/texlive/pretest.html
TL2008 has been frozen for pretesting 2009.

> Now it's clear why the update is not working. THE RECORDS IN CURRENT TLPDB ARE
> OBSOLETED!

You mean the one on CTAN tlnet/2008? Probably because we didn't update
it, again, see above.

> Because V6.78q in tlpdb is older than installed V6.78r, the TeX Live Manager
> update will do nothing!

These version numbers don't mean anything to tlmgr, you have to look at the
	revision NNNNN
that is the only number we are considering.

> How is possible that the current tlpdb contains older information than during
> the initial update on 16/06/2009?

That would be very suprising, and I don't believe that this is the case.

> Why the current tlpdb does not contain information about current version of a
> package?

Because it is frozen.

Best wishes

Norbert