[tex-live] TeX install CD vs. DVD

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Sep 15 00:38:16 CEST 2009

On 14 September 2009 Gianluca Gorni wrote:

 > Until TeXLive 2007 there used to be a ProTeXt install CD.
 > I used to hand out copies of the CD to my students.
 >
 > With TeXLive 2008 we only got one double-layer DVD.
 > Unfortunately, I have not been able to duplicate it.
 > I am still distributing the 07 CD, because I don't
 > like giving away my only precious DVD.

If the double-layer DVD is the problem, you can copy ProTeXt from the
DVD to a directory on your hard drive and copy the content of this
directory to DVDs.  As Robin already said, modern TeX distributions do
not fit on CD's anymore.

However, if your students have internet access, they can use the
network installer.  See:

  http://tug.org/texlive/acquire

This is the preferred way to install TeX Live nowadays.  Compared to
ProTeXt, TeX Live allows your students to use the operating system of
their choice.  ProTeXt supports Windows only.  I don't recommend
ProTeXt for this reason.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25