[tex-live] Catalogue sources

Alexander Cherepanov cherepan at mccme.ru
Sat Sep 5 21:32:14 CEST 2009

Hi Robin!
On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 00:37:49 +0100, Robin Fairbairns <Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

>> > i've now rearranged the rsync module so that it doesn't provide the
>> > author addresses.
>>
>> It seems you've just excluded authors file? Will you return it after
>> deleting email addresses from it?

> i have no intention of doing that.

It's a pity. AFAIU html versions of texcatalogue are supposed to be
buildable from sources and `authors' is necessary for this. Missing
`authors' means that texcatalogue is not buildable and therefore is
non-free and can not be included in free tex distribution.

> the copy that's used has other uses
> too, which would be prevented by mucking about with any files.

Probably then you can maintain private version of this file with
emails included and generate public stripped down version from it
automatically?

Emails in `authors' are not used for anything so IMHO file without
emails qualifies as source even if it's autogenerated (by removing
emails).

>> As an illustration of usefulness of authors file: html page for 12many
>> ( http://tug.ctan.org/pkg/12many ) is missing and I guess the reason
>> for this is a lost entry for auth:uschwarz .

> the file names are also html entity names (no particular reason -- they
> just are), and may not therefore start with a digit.  12many is
> catalogued as one2many.

I see. Seems it was fixed since 2006. Sorry for the noise.

> however, whether or not there's an authors file on the repository copy
> that rsync presents, jim's files are generated from his own copy, as are
> mine.  i actually have 4 copies (two inside our firewall, the one you
> see via rsync, and one here at home).  they present an identical set of
> files, on their own file system.

Thanks for info. But I think mainly about the possibility of inclusion
of texcatalogue in various tex distributions. It seems texcatalogue is
not in any distribution now but it was included before and I hope to
see it there again.

Alexander Cherepanov