[tex-live] Misplaced context files

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Sep 4 23:44:55 CEST 2009

    tt> http://geoffmclane.com/unix/tar-01.htm

Just for the record, neither the current context.tar nor context.doc.tar
have long file names, as far as I know.  (I realize that wasn't the
point here.)

    ak> I think I can provide a dll-free tar.exe, if no other
    candidates are found.

It seems nothing else is working out of the box, so your rewrite is
most welcome.

It belatedly occurs to me that posix format may be an option.  I don't
care about ustar specifically, the point is to have something that works
across as many tars as possible, and the gnu formats (old or new) aren't
that.

So I've created two tiny files,
  http://tug.org/~karl/longname-posix.tar
  http://tug.org/~karl/longname-ustar.tar
created using --format=posix and --format=ustar, respectively.
Maybe the existing tar.exe can handle posix format?

The original problematic context.doc is still at
http://tug.org/~karl/longname.tar.xz.

I haven't tried posix with Solaris or BSD tar yet.  If anyone else could
do that too, that'd be great.

Thanks,