[tex-live] Report from Windows XP: Pretest TeX Live 2009

Pavel Striz striz at fame.utb.cz
Fri Oct 23 16:35:01 CEST 2009

Good afternoon TeX Live developers, this is my report on testing version
2009.

First of all, we thank you for this installer, it's pretty cool.

I've downloaded http://ftp.cstug.cz/pub/tex/tlnet/install-tl.zip. Worked
well.
I unzipped it. No problem.
I run "install-tl.bat -repository http://ftp.cstug.cz/pub/tex/tlnet/". No
problem. The install-tl-advanced.bat file worked also well.
Installation (downloading files) was slightly slower but everything went
fine.
I only noticed that the text on the thank you pane moved too much to the
right side. I have already informed Mr. Madr who is working on the Czech
translation. However, it might be useful to check all other languages. I am
enclosing the evidence with missing Czech words as texlive.png. :-)

A general question: Are you considering to extend TeX Live to be able to
install all/some other tools and packages available from the www.ctan.org
server?

After that, I was working on setting LuaTeX in ConTeXt. Notes from this part
follow.

I needed to install Ruby.
I set "HOMETEXMF     = C:/temp" in texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf.
I created /texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua filled with "return { TEXMFCACHE =
'C:/temp' }".

Because of "ctxtools --update" I had to download the latest LuaTeX binaries
(version 0.46).
That was 6 files from
http://minimals.contextgarden.net/current/bin/luatex/mswin/bin/

The ctxtools script was asking for 0.43 version or newer (noticed from the
log file). Pretest TeX Live contains version 0.40. The problem was that it
took me some time to figure this problem out. The log file is sort of huge
and it is not obvious for the first time what's wrong.

That's all! Good luck with the TeX-Collection 2009!

Pavel Striz

___ Information from ESET Mail Security, ver. 4536 (20091023) ___
The message was checked by ESET Mail Security. www.eset.com