[tex-live] Status of restricted \write18 and epstopdf conversion

Akira Kakuto kakuto at fuk.kindai.ac.jp
Mon Oct 19 23:47:12 CEST 2009

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> I have not followed this discussion closely, but are you
> sure this is related to the luatex internals? To me it
> looks more like a side-effect of \write18: I suspect that
> the operating system is starting a command shell to execute
> the generated command line, and that that shell interprets
> the special symbols it finds.

My previous mail may be wrong. Two different processes may
not be able to share the value of shellenabledp.

The internal command in the restricted mode is, for example

repstopdf input.eps ^| echo Pwned 1

The special meaning of | is changed to be a simple
file name by ^|. Here it is really treated not to be
a pipe symbol and the above command fails.

Thanks,
Akira