[tex-live] Status of restricted \write18 and epstopdf conversion

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Sun Oct 18 23:12:13 CEST 2009

Hi Alexander,

>> repstopdf --debug --outfile="$(echo hi >~/pwned; echo foo.pdf)" foo.eps
>
> (probably you mean single quotes here, so command substitution happens
> when calling gs, not when calling repstopdf)

Yep. Actually, I was thinking of

\write18{repstopdf --debug --outfile="$(echo hi >\string~/pwned; echo
foo.pdf)" foo.eps}

> I've also thought about all this quoting but only after sending the
> email out:-( That requires some work...
> Other issue here is environment variables like %TEMP% on Windows.

Yep. That's why I don't want to try catching every single shell and
cmd.exe feature: I'm sure I'd forget something.

> This is also not that easy but you seem to manage it (just received
> your next mail), nice. Will look into the new version now.

It is actually very easy on Unix, the only problem being with windows.
I'm looking forward to hearing your comments on the new version.

Manuel.